Up and running

I know, every year I tell you guys I'll be able to keep this thing going in the summer, and every year I get tied up with other stuff and can't.
So what's new in Devil land? Oh wait, I'm supposed to tell you that!
Kidding. While I have been doing lots of other things for the paper as I do every summer, I have been able to keep tabs on the CCSU sports scene.
I'll have lots to say about NEC hoops soon, got the chance to get a great head start this year on all that stuff. But it is football season.
So here's the plan. I'll have a camp preview this weekend (likely in Sunday morning's paper, which is the first day of camp), then I'll be checking in periodically with Mac and the boys as summer turns to fall.
I hope you got to read the things I wrote about my sitdown with Paul. I tried to ask every question you guys asked me. Paul was very gracious with his time and was pretty open about things I thought. Yes, there was still some vagueness in some of the answers, but he is still feeling things out. And from what I've heard from my little birdies, he is definitely a man of action. I think you'll see lots of little changes as opposed to one major thing. He also wants ideas. He even wanted to hear some of mine during our talk. So he is not a guy who thinks he has all the answers.
I went surfing the CCSUfans board as well as my email (mstraubblog@hotmail.com send me questions, particularly football ones, NOW!) looking for questions, and I didn't see too many that I haven't covered. I checked in on the hoops coaching staff, and Howie told me to check back soon.
I think I've answered this before, but I was asked so maybe not. From everything I've heard from everyone I've asked, Victor was not forced out. I think, even if he wanted to, Howie couldn't do that. He loves Victor. I talked with Victor last year at the Blue Devil run and he sounded like he was already thinking about getting out of the business then. I also saw him at a team function I attended this summer, so there certainly wasn't any hard feelings.
As for football: I've said already a couple times that this could be a down year. Anytime you get coaching turnover AND a new quarterback in the same year, it's going to be difficult. Plus, this being an even year, Central has the bulk of its big games on the road.
I think Gunnar will start, but I think you'll see the freshman play as well. But I've learned two things over the last four-plus years of covering Mac. He will rely on running and defense first, and he will play more than one quarterback.
My gut says coach Stowers won't be here more than a year, as a bigger job will come, but I've been wrong before. I'll ask any questions I can about the new coaches and maybe do some profiles as camp goes on.
You do have to give Devils credit for another tough schedule, with a trip to UNH and another to Youngstown State. I just fear, for their sakes, that this is the year they should have gone light.
Speaking of schedules, back to hoops for one second. I saw questions about the schedule, which I know I've already printed. There might be one or two non-conference games in there I haven't uncovered yet, but the big ones I've talked about.
And no, there isn't a 7-game set with Savannah State this year. It's best-of-nine. Ha.
One thing I read that I THINK is incorrect, but I will check again to make sure: I read on the board somewhere that the CT 6 game is 7:30 like last year. I was told instead that it would be closer to 6 p.m. It's the middle game, and I was told that the whole thing was starting earlier, with CCSU going around six. But I'll see if there's been changes.
I mentioned Dave's extended absence, but they're still hopeful they can get him back by the second semester. I think I know what' s up, but want to confirm obviously before I write anything. Ken is looking strong. I expect a HUGE year out of him. We'll see.
Anyway, as always, shoot me questions here or at mstraubblog@hotmail.com. It's time to get back to work.

1 comment: