Football follies

First off, sorry to be getting to this so late at night (it's 2 a.m. as I type), but I got pressed into duty at the paper and didn't get to think about the scrimmage.
Or was it because I don't want to? The sooner that gets erased from my memory banks the better. It was icky. Now in the team's defense, some 20 players were out (I believe it was 13 to the sickness going through the team and seven due to injury), but there wasn't much to be excited about, either.
I will say that the lines look good. The front seven is apparently further along than I thought it would be with all the changeover, and the O-Line isn't far off.
The quarterback situation being settled wasn't a surprise. Gunnar, barring injury, was set to take the first snap at UNH some time ago, it's just formal now. Though again, remember that Mac saying he's not going to shift QBs as much is like me saying I'm going to skip having that piece of cake on the table. He believes it at the time, but just can't do it.
To his credit though, he has mentioned the Jones will see some time during games. I think it's more during certain plays than splitting time, but who knows?
I'll post more things throughout the weekend as I get time, but for now I'll give you a general overview of what I think so far.

The good: CCSU showed some depth, and young depth. That means, while this year could be dicey if things don't break right, next year is shaping up quite nicely. But again, I haven't figured this team out yet, don't ask me about 2011.
(except for the question I got today about next year's schedule. I know I have it here somewhere, let me get back to you on that).
The lines might not be the problem areas I thought they'd be. But I'd like to see some more before I say that for sure.
There were some potential breakout types. Garcarz is going to be a star someday. White looked like he wants to be a factor at some point at QB, and some D-Linemen look ready to step up.

The bad: Please, before I get 19 nasty e-mails and we end up having a big debate (I'm not ready for those in August), let me be clear and say I'm not at all saying Gunnar is a bust of any kind. The coaches believe he will be fine, and I have no reason to doubt them. Also, did I mention it's August? But in his dress rehearsal he wasn't great. Though to be fair, he avoided turnovers. If he just avoids mistakes and Fowler and Co. are the backs we expect them to be, isn't Central's offense automatically no worse than it was a year ago?
Anthony made a really nice catch at one point and looked comfortable at TE. Will they use him much? Not sure. But I don't think that will be because they think he'll hurt the team.
All I can think of now as we get past 3 a.m. I have plenty of quotes and notes to get through, so I'll have more coming.
Keep the questions coming to mstraubblog@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment