10 to go

Can you believe we're actually nearing the halfway mark of the NEC slate? I swear I was just at the Blue Devil Run.

Some random thoughts... we'll do another Around the NEC thing probably on Monday. If it gets some feedback, we'll keep it going.

As for some responses to things I've seen online or been asked about: Yes, Shemik is the big favorite to be the point guard in the post-Blackwood era. In fact, unless someone has a huge training camp next year, I can't imagine who else it would be.

I happen to really like him, by the way. He's rough around the edges, yes, but he has two qualities I think are critical in the floor general. First, he's not selfish. He's not shy about shooting, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be upset if Horton is the star of this team in two years. Secondly, he's tough as nails. He played through a painful injury, and has been greatly improved now that his ankle is better. From what I can tell nothing bothers the kid, and I doubt he'll be scared of anything that comes in March this year, never mind in the future. I'm not saying he's Bob Cousy, but I think he'll be solid.

Marcus is starting to get tougher. He faded in the second half against FDU, but he showed some mettle inside. If he does that (and boxes out), you'll see much more of him in the coming months.

I don't know enough about the rest of campus (I spend my time in the athletic offices, at Detrick or on the old fields) to comment much, but if things are in as bad shape as some of you say, then I support fixing those first, before we even talk about a field house. Not to start the whole fight again, but I think the crop of young studs that is emerging at Central shows that the program can survive in the old building for a few years at least.

The more I think about it, the more I like my "Historic Detrick Gym" approach." It wouldn't cost much but could pay big dividends.

As for the football activity... To be perfectly honest, with everything going on during this busy stretch in basketball (there's been a TON of games of late) and my other responsibilities in the office, I simply haven't had the chance to look into any of it or get you details. Hopefully I can soon.

What else can I do for you, our loyal readers? I await my next assignment from the masses.

1 comment:

  1. Matt, good job on the blog and in the paper (as usual).
    RE: Historic Detrick, there can be more memorabilia, poster, banners and signs. It's not quite sterile in there (there are 4 BB banners up there), but, you or someone on the CCSUFANS.com blog mentioned that it would be nice to see other teams' banners up there. Detrick may be the only venue where that would make sense. A big event could be held around the "unveiling" of each banner (not all at the same time). The Administration could hold a special banner unfolding night for each sport at different BBall games, including the women's games and have a dinner or lunch associated with it.

    Lastly, I'd love to see how the basketball recruits for both Beryl and Howie are doing, stat-wise and how their teams are doing. Ditto with Football and soccer (that is, what were the players' final stats from the fall

    ReplyDelete