Poll stuff

Checking in with some basketball poll thoughts, though I don't want to give too much away before our special section previewing the season comes out Wednesday (shameless plug by me).

The men were a little lower than I thought they'd be, but I understand the hesitation since the other coaches have no clue what Ken Horton's readiness is. This group without him has proven to be a 6th place team and an 8th place team, so I think the coaches figured even if Kenny is at half speed it moves the Devils up a couple spots. If he's healthy, that jumps obviously.
Not sure I buy the love for LIU yet. I have to go back into the research I did over the summer for that project, but I don't recall thinking LIU was going to be that strong.
I think it's a 3-horse race in the NEC with Quinny, CCSU and RMU leading the field. We shall see. MUCH more on the men as we get closer to Mohegan.
By the way, I'm going to keep mentioning this since my info was bad all summer: THE CT 6 GAME IS A 6 P.M. TIP, NOT 9.

As for the women's poll, well, let me just give you the facts and leave names out of it. Team X has made the semifinals 2 years in a row, returns 5 starters from the lineup it went with most of the season last year, four of whom are seniors and adds a key bench piece that missed most of last year. That team is Central and it was picked 7th. I was shocked by that one. I'm not saying I think the women are going to win the league, but 7th is ridiculous. Somewhere around 4th I can buy, if you're not bullish on them. But 7th? No way.

By the way, Beryl Piper wasn't kidding when she said she added some size. Now, the question becomes can any of the new tall kids play?

No comments:

Post a Comment