A wild 24 hours

Ok, now that I have time and a net connection at the same time, let's go through a crazy 24 hours of CCSU sports.

We'll start with Friday night's huge win for the women. It was an ugly game and Hartford is way, way down from where they've been, but it's still a great win for Central since a bad Hartford team is supposed to beat a good Central team.
I thought Central's defense was tremendous, and I was impressed with the poise the younger players showed. I was surprised coach Beryl Piper went with Jessica Babe over Rachel Chandler, but it worked out, as Babe hit the biggest shot of the game.
Justina Udenze was fantastic, her best all-around game in blue if you ask me. She wasn't good at the line, but made the two she needed. You also had to love the offensive rebounding of Leanne Crockett, who does everything reasonably well, making her a tough guard.
We'll see if the women can build on this momentum. If so, it could be a good year. Lose the next two and it's gone, however. That's what this team did too much of last year. Win a good one, lose a bad one.

From there I came home and wrote a follow, then (after a brief rest) went to the office to help with my desk duties before heading to Mohegan for the men's game. Therefore I didn't get to follow the football game too much. Too bad nothing happened, huh?
Gunnar Jespersen was fantastic, and Central's offense is really clicking in a way where you wonder if they won't have a huge year next year with most everyone back. The question will be, can they find a defense in the meantime?
If Central were still alive for the playoff berth (yes, I know they can win a co-championship with a win next week) I'd be crushing coach Jeff McInerney for his decision to go for 2 in double OT. But on the road, the saying goes, you play for the win. Also, well, Coach Mac is a little crazy at times.
I forget who it was who said this to me at the hoops game tonight, so I apologize for not crediting them: Mac is the FCS version of Les Miles, LSU's gambler of a coach. Mac goes for it on fourth down, goes for 2 when the book says go for 1, etc. But 90 percent of the time, it works out for him. And the win gives Central a shot at that co-title, which I know the players are excited about, so good for them. I've given you my opinion on it, so there's no need to harp.

Which gets us to the main event of the weekend, the men's basketball game. First, since I don't know how much this got discussed after the fact, but the reason the pre game show had trouble on the radio was because all of press row (at least on one side of the floor) went out for some reason. As I understand it, SHU lost the end of their broadcast, at least on radio, etc. It was a wild scene watching everyone scramble to fix it. I mention all this because I thought it was interesting, and because I was sad that my interview with Marc Robbins was only heard online. I thought we did a pretty good breakdown while filling the extra time between games. I'm trying to get the hang of radio, I hope I'm giving you guys good insight.
Since it's nearly 2 a.m., I'm going to give you some quick one sentence thoughts on some players. Maybe we'll turn this into a feature, but only if I can think of a fresh way to do it. The whole "grades" thing is played out. But a quick thought on the team. Coming from 14 down is very impressive, regardless of the opponent. Central's full court defense was very good, and the Blue Devils got to the line at will, something they did not do last year.

Shemik Thompson was brilliant. After sitting out much of the first half with 2 fouls, he did everything a senior point guard should do down the stretch. Big 3, clutch free throws. Even stepped in for Vince Rosario after the game when Rosario grew shy when asked to talk about his game. It seems like a silly point and they laughed about it, but it showed leadership.
If he is healthy and poised, it's a good year for Central.

Ken Horton was timid. I had written the word in my story before Howie Dickenman said it in his post game press conference. I likened it to a kid who puts his toe in the water at first to see how cold it is. As the game went on, Horton got more aggressive, getting 5 boards in the second half. He also went down low and earned some free throws late. I think his numbers will shoot up as he gets his legs and, more importantly, his confidence.

Robby Ptacek was missing confidence, but he can make free throws with his eyes closed. If he keeps driving and drawing fouls, he can be effective even when missing shots. But he MUST play better D.

Joe Efese: I think he had 5 blocks. A good start, but he must do more on the other end. I think he and Kenny have to feel each other out a little more. Had 5 turnovers. Not Ok.

Markeys Deans: The effort was there, but the game was not. He has to be the "x-factor" type yes, but he must also make a few shots. He forced a couple tonight he shouldn't have.

Vince Rosario: Simply, the reason CCSU is 1-0. He was aggressive and made shots, a great combination. Must work on his postgame interviews, however.

De'Angelo Speech: The box score won't show how well the freshman performed. He rebounded, played solid defense, got to the line hit a big shot and drew fouls. Not a bad start at all.

Terrell Allen: A small sample, but showed he belonged at this level.

Devan Bailey: Hit a nice jumper from the wing and missed a three. Two turnovers in 17 minutes, however. He did have three assists. So overall a positive contribution.

Overall, I'd say the offensive rebounds allowed were a big problem, as was the turnover bug. But I have a feeling those will be the 2 bug-a-boos all year. Central can defend and has some scorers. Let's see how the Devils look when they play well.

No comments:

Post a Comment