The mailman is back

Ok, I guess that's Karl Malone, who I never liked, so I need a different nickname. We'll work on that.
In the meantime, two questions I'm going to tackle today.

JJ asks about the Gridiron Classic, and says he was hearing rumblings that it was coming back, and that the NEC's 2nd place team would go.
I can tell you that it was my understanding that the GC was dead now that the NEC had the auto bid to the FCS playoffs. I can also tell you that no one at Central has breathed a word about it, which you'd think they'd do to plug the importance of their remaining games if it were an option.
I have contacted the league, and will update you when I know something.

2 more from loyal reader Matt, who we'll have to get some kind of award as one of my most frequent questioner.

Q:The lineup you presented in your blog is one that I've been suggesting they'll use all summer long. However, I see no way they can match up defensively with NEC teams because just about every team will use a 3-guard lineup. Neither Horton, Efese or Deans can guard on the perimeter, plus it takes away our shot blocking ability if Horton has to do that. Is there any talk of going with a 2-3 zone when we go "big"? I admit I'm not a fan of the zone d when you have the type of athleticism that we appear to have, but it would allow us to go big.
Just wondering if you have a different thought or any different knowledge?

A: Central used a zone more in the last couple of years than I can ever remember prior, but I don't think they need to that often. First off, any lineup you find will be shifting frequently. Devan Bailey will play a lot, Vince Rosario will play a lot, the other bigs will see time, and Terrell Allen and Mr. Speech might try and work their way in as well.
To your point, however, Markeys Deans is a tough matchup on the other end. He'd beat up a guard and he can step back and shoot against a bigger forward. And if you put a real big guy on him, he has enough handle to get by a time or two as well. So I don't think teams would be able to go 3 guards for long stretches against him and Ken Horton. A guard would have to defend one or the other, which would go poorly for them.
Coach Howie Dickenman told me his defensive plan this year was going to be "make you do something else." In other words, take away the strength of the other team whenever possible. Some of that could come by forcing the other team into a matchup battle.
Of course, by Saturday Devan Bailey could be the starting third guard again.

2) How does Joe Efese look? In my ten years of following CCSU, I've never seen a kid improve from November-March as much as he did last year. Is he still improving every day? The idea that we can dump the ball down to him a few times a game and get some offense makes me giddy. If every player on the floor can be an offensive threat (which is VERY possible), it will stop any in-game stretches where we struggle, despite any sort of foul trouble, injuries, etc.

May I suggest reading the feature about him I've written that will likely be in our preview section? If not I'll get it out there some way. And did I mention that the CCSU preview section will appear in Wednesday's paper?
I'll say this for now: I think depth could be an issue, as I see eight consistent players and I'd like to see that number closer to 9 or 10. At the very least I'd like to see a couple of guys who you feel confident could play when called upon if the Devils do get in foul trouble or the injury bug hits again.
Secondly, shooting can go cold. I believe it's contagious, which can lead to a couple of guys having bad nights. I completely agree that Central has enough weapons to think the 50-point nights are over, but let's also not turn this team into the Suns either. I think they're going to do well, but let's not pretend this is the perfect team yet. I do agree that the offense is going to be greatly improved, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment