New building and coach

Let's preface this by saying I don't think coach Dickenman is going anywhere.

That said, JJ I don't disagree that a new building would help, but I do disagree with the notion that it's coming. I have no reason to think it's coming at all. So the key will be finding a coach willing to keep this thing going and not for a stepping stone. A young guy with ties to the area or program would be ideal. We'll see.

Again, I have no reason to think there's any reason to worry about this in the short term, so no one panic. I just was answering a question.

1 comment:

  1. So we are all on the same page, I DON"T think Howie is going anywhere, anytime soon! I think (and hope) he will retire a Blue Devil some many, many years down the road.

    I also DON'T think a new building is coming anytime soon. In fact, I honestly don't see it in the forseable future (in part due to CSUS 2020 and the slow economy).

    My point, which I think we both agree on is:

    1) Kaiser Hall is old and not very fan or player friendly. A new building could HELP recruiting, but we have Howie, so its not a big deal right now.

    2) Someday Howie will retire. Most people hope that's another 10-20-30 years away. He'd got a lifetime contract with everyone I know. But how do you get the next coach (one who will stay) without a big salary and nicer facilities?

    3) Finally, I know we beat this horse too, but its a fact for most of us. CCSU's facilities are not up to par with any other state school. We know all about UConn, but have you seen what they have at Eastern or Western (both D-III). There is an issue of fairness. Many are just asking -when is it going to be our turn?

    So yes, as long as we have Howie we don't need a new building for hoops (but it would help other programs like track, etc). Yes, a new building alone, won't help recruiting - we need to keep our great coaches.

    But if we don't talk about this and make the case now, instead of waiting 5-10 years, we will be waiting 15-25 years for something to happen. Sorry, on this issue I'm not affraid to to tip the applecart just a little.

    ReplyDelete