Breaking down the hoops schedule

Well we knew all the teams but one (and I'll get to that team in a second), but now there's dates and an order.
The one addition is Army, which is on the road Nov. 15. Central had another game scheduled, but that team canceled at the last minute. But Central was able to pick up the game at Army.
Next, an apology. I have been reporting for some time that while it was out there that Central was the late game at the CT 6, I was certain it was the middle game. Well, Central is the late game.
It stands to reason the Devils will be the early game against Yale next year, but we'll see. My current plan is to go to the game, blog about it and put a game story on our web site that night/morning, but we'll see. As you guys know from following this blog, plans change with my schedule by the day, never mind between now and November.
Central has one early conference game this year, and it's home against Monmouth. The original plan was to open at Monmouth, but the games with the Hawks got reversed at Monmouth's request as I've heard it.
Eight of the first nine are away from home, though fans will be able to see the Devils at Mohegan and Providence fairly easily. Plus, the game at Penn St. is on the Big 10 Network, which I get, so I'll be able to give you a good recap.
You'll be rewarded for your patience come the holidays, when Central is home for six straight games. There's only one extended road swing during NEC play, and two of the three straight on the road during that stretch in mid-January are at Sacred Heart and at Quinnipiac, so the Devils can sleep in their own beds for those games.
The only home-and-home is against Bryant, unlike last year where it seemed like Central was playing the same teams within days of the previous meeting all the time.
If I'm reading it correctly, CCSU does NOT go to FDU or the Mount while the PA teams do not come here.
Obviously, the time to clean up is from Dec. 19 to Feb. 3. In that time, Central leaves the state once, for a Jan. 20 game at Monmouth.
One other little thing that could be key: in a rare occurrence, there isn't another road game thrown in with the PA trip. Usually Central goes to the Mount or somewhere like that during what becomes a 3 or 4 game sojourn, but that is not the case this season.
We're another couple months away from real preview type blogs, but for now I'll say this. Let the team grow during the brutal Nov. and Dec. schedule. I have a feeling this schedule, and the season, could play out very much like 2007. A slow start, then a ton of home games to get Central on track, then big but winnable road games before another 3-game homestand.
By then, the Devils could be rolling. Will they start 15-1 in the league like they did that year? God only knows. But I do like the way the schedule sets up. A lot.

4 comments:

  1. Hey matt...I know that you said we are a ways away from any true hoops preview talk, but do you have any thoughts on the NEC preview section?
    I think we have a lot to be excited about and really believe that the Shemik-Robby-Horton triumverate could be just as good as the Blackwood-Javy-Obie trio of 2007 and with a (potentially) better supporting cast.
    If all goes according to plan, you have a solid-pass first PG in Bailey, a sharpshooter off the bench in Vince (is he healthy? I've heard he's practicing) and some versatile frontcourt play with Efese & Deans plus Simmons and Baskerville. I would call any production from the freshmen a bonus as there's really not much room.
    Point is, we can do a little bit of everything and even plan different styles, something teams in the past could not do. We have 4 or 5 legit three-point shooters, 2 VERY good ballhandlers (plus Brickhouse?) and can keep rotating in the frontcourt players without missing a beat. If we need to go big we can do it with Kenny at the "3", we can run with Kenny at the 4 and Bailey at the point. And I think we will be immensely better in the halfcourt game with Kenny at the pick & roll and the fact that we really found something with the motion offense at the end of the season. And with Shemik not feeling like he must be superman, he's going to be incredibly efficient with less shots.
    Quinnipiac could be damn good too...though I think there's a chance that all of that new talent could get in the way of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two thoughts. First, guys named Matt are awesome. Second, I have the NEC preview thing in my car right now, but haven't had a chance to go through it. I actually wrote one for something else, so I'm fairly up on things, however.
    I also was told Vince is practicing, but I'm not anywhere near ready to call this team 2007 yet. I was saying the schedule breaks in very favorable ways, but the talent has to do something with it. I'm not saying they won't, but I'll tell you what I tell the football fans about freshmen: Let me see them play some games before I declare them helpful.
    Spoiler alert: I picked CCSU 2nd in the NEC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two thoughts. First, guys named Matt are awesome. Second, I have the NEC preview thing in my car right now, but haven't had a chance to go through it. I actually wrote one for something else, so I'm fairly up on things, however.
    I also was told Vince is practicing, but I'm not anywhere near ready to call this team 2007 yet. I was saying the schedule breaks in very favorable ways, but the talent has to do something with it. I'm not saying they won't, but I'll tell you what I tell the football fans about freshmen: Let me see them play some games before I declare them helpful.
    Spoiler alert: I picked CCSU 2nd in the NEC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt...I agree about the freshmen, which is why I said anything we get from them would be considered a bonus. I don't expect any freshman to play more than 10-12 mpg, and that may be on the high side.

    ReplyDelete