Catching up

I'll be at football practice tomorrow, so I'll have more to add about this week's game after that. I'll probably write late tomorrow or Thursday since I'm going to the soccer game tomorrow night as well.
Home opener for the guys, who will be playing over at Veterans Stadium. Interested to see what kind of draw they can get away from home but under the lights. It's a nice stadium with plenty of room.

I'll take this time to kind of clean out the notebook, and then I'm going to post something about the basketball assistant coaches as well, but I'll make that a separate deal.

First off, a football tidbit. Coach Jeff McInerney told me last week some interesting things about the practice schedule. Wednesdays, he said, are particularly hard on the kids because that's a heavy class day, but it's also a big football day as it's really the start of the ramping up process towards the next game. Throw in the fact that all the teams are using the football field right now (well, except volleyball) and it gets chaotic.
But there's a solution. He added that he plans on practicing more on Fridays. He's had the kids in full pads, and it is becoming a practice day more than a walkthrough day. It worked for the Bentley game (though let's be honest, most things would have that week) and he was going to do it again this week.
"We got more done and our focus was better," he said last week.
So we'll see how that starts affecting Saturday games, not to mention the Friday night in Albany.
All the fall teams seem to be working well together in terms of using the field. I know women's soccer coach Mick D'Arcy would rather the game be played on grass, but his team is making due with the field. At least they don't have to play home games off site like baseball did.
I asked AD Paul Schlickmann if he was concerned about the field holding up from all the use, and he said he thought it would be fine. We shall see.
Speaking of Paul, I spoke to him at the NB Chamber of Commerce breakfast. Nice of them to welcome him. A couple of notes. First, he's a big proponent of trying to get people to wear blue to the games. No fancy names for it yet, but blue t-shirts/sweatshirts/regular shirts are encouraged. Interested to see if it catches on. Would look really cool for basketball with the blue seats and the two sides to the bleachers.
That seems like a good place to break this up, since I don't want this post to get too long. News from hoops in the next post...which I guess will be the one you see first. Maybe I should work on that? What's easier for you guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment