Mailtime!

Before I begin the mailbag, I wanted to chime in with a change in my previous position on a topic:
In light of recent changes to the football landscape and some people I know who know things telling me things, I do believe there will be a new football league in the next 5 years. It will take a couple years to develop, but I can see the northern CAA teams getting out and CCSU and Albany going with them. I'm not sure it's a great idea for CCSU, which will take its lumps for a while playing ranked teams a lot, but it could help in the future.
The same thing, I predict and have for some time, will happen in basketball, but Central won't be involved in that. (Quinnipiac might, however, as it could be as close as it ever gets to a jump).

Ok, mail time:
First, JJ asked about recruiting. I'll have a story on Central's signees later this week. You will like Justin Alexander. As to why a 6-6 forward wouldn't want to play at CCSU: 1) the league is thought of as a guards league, always will be. 2) A 6-6 guy, especially an athletic type, is gonna be behind Kenny. Without immediate playing time, you aren't coming.

Matt Mauro wants to know more about Joe Efese.
Matt: I think he's not quite a Ken clone, but you can picture him in that kind of mold.
To answer your question about HOW high he is on Joe E, I will tell you that Howie manages to mention that he thinks he's going to be a good player just about every time I talk to him. I think some of that is to try and help him boost his confidence, but it's also the truth. I can see him going into Kenny's role in two years.

To answer your question of why, I'll quote Howie from a recent story I wrote:

“He’s going to be a good player, but with him it’s been a feast or a mini-famine,” Dickenman said. “I don’t want to say a complete famine. He has shown up. In practice [Friday] he had nine blocks. Sometimes you have to call him out to get it out of him, but he’s going to be a good player. He asks questions and he’s learning a little more about defense responsibilities. He wants to be good.”

Lee wants to know about the penalties in Indianapolis:
Lee, I would hardly call four penalties to none a huge discrepancy. It wasn't exactly the 2002 NBA West Finals. But yeah, it is weird that Butler wasn't called for ANY. I will say that the pace of the game made it so that penalties were going to be low to begin with.
I was a little high in the sky to have a perfect view of all the penalties, but lemme go by memory.
The two facemasks, are pretty straightforward calls.
If the PI against CCSU is the play I'm thinking of, I called it in my head before the flag came.
The offside, I can't tell you if someone jumped first, I simply don't remember to be honest.
Again, I can't recall everything and I was fairly high, but I will honestly tell you that I didn't leave that game in any way thinking that CCSU got screwed. I do know that some other people did, however.

The one thing I disagreed with was Mac's call not to go for two, but I thought his answer was pretty solid.
6:44 left, CCSU scores to make it 21-16. I wanted to go for 2 to get within a FG, but Mac's theory was this: If you don't make the two and Butler makes a FG, you're down 8 and NEED the two. This way, if the D holds them to a FG, you're down 24-17, and all you have to do to tie the game is make that XP and the one after the tying score. Of course, CCSU gave up a TD on the next drive, making it irrelevant. I think you have to try and hold them to no points there and play it that way, but that's the logic he used. It's sound, even if I don't necessarily agree.

1 comment:

  1. Good work Matt.
    Many of us have always wondered why it seems as if one to three basketball players leave the program every year.

    Is it Howie? Do the find the school not to their liking? Is it too tough, academically?

    Another topic: Regarding teams that the men's BBall team plays. It looks as if the only money game this year is Northwestern. Maybe the Citadel? But, does Howie taylor the schools he's willing to play, even if it's payday, based on how close they match up? That is, I'm sure he doesn't want to get really beaten by teh "majors".

    ReplyDelete