more mail!

First, LOVE doing this. Give me more at mstraubblog@hotmail.com.
Ok, first let's tackle the can of worms I opened. This is the reason I don't give opinions more often, because they get twisted. For example, I was asked today if Central had a chance to get into the AE.
No. Stop the madness. You're talking about teams that have much bigger reputations than Central, or in some cases a lot more money.
Here's all I was saying. I really believe, the more I hear, that Hofstra and NU, and maybe one more team like Delaware is going to eventually be trying to get out of the CAA, which NU NEVER should have joined in the first place. They'll need a league. They could go back to the AE, or they could join for football CCSU and Albany with a couple more. We're talking years from now, but yeah, someday there will be a new Yankee Conference. Will CCSU be in it for football? I dunno.
I continue to think two things about hoops: 1) CCSU is NOT leaving a league that's been too good to it and again, not sure its "profile" is big enough. 2) The hoops only Big East teams will eventually form their own regional power league. Gtown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, etc. Maybe that's where NU and Hofstra, with no more football, end up. And that's how QU makes its big jump, but it can only do it after some winning years. I was just trying to see it from the Q's perspective. Me personally, I'd like to see their hype matched by some wins. IF they start dominating the NEC and Moore gets them going, then that could happen. That includes their hockey team, though with me being a hockey guy, I say good for them on that program.
We'll see how it all goes. It's certainly fun to speculate. Even if some of the wilder theories drive me temporarily crazy.

Got this from an anonymous.... PLEASE send me a name or at least a handle like Hud, so I can feel like we're having a conversation. I can't do that if I don't know your name.

Here's the questions:
Many of us have always wondered why it seems as if one to three basketball players leave the program every year.Is it Howie? Do the find the school not to their liking? Is it too tough, academically?Another topic: Regarding teams that the men's BBall team plays. It looks as if the only money game this year is Northwestern. Maybe the Citadel? But, does Howie tailor the schools he's willing to play, even if it's payday, based on how close they match up? That is, I'm sure he doesn't want to get really beaten by the "majors".

And here's my answer: The answer is all of the above. Some players don't make the cut academically, something Howie and the school is passionate about. Some can't handle the program's hard-nosed approach. By the way, that happens at a lot more places than just Central. The jump from a high school game to a D1 PRACTICE can be extreme, and not for everyone. And yes, Howie is the kind of coach who demands a level of intensity, which is huge at this level. Look at this year's team. Central must out work and out hustle the opposition. That, and a little luck, is how the Devils beat Albany Saturday.
As for the schedule, it works a number of ways. Sometimes they try and play close to a player's home so his family can see him play. Sometimes, as was the case with N'Western this year, they get "bought," that is, the Wildcats pay Central to come play them. Football does that all the time.
Sometimes, when things are right, they'll play someone like UConn. That gives them money and a taste of how the tournament will be (this is just a guess, but I can see CCSU playing someone big next year, when I expect them to be good).
Do they try and tailor the schedule to the team? In that respect, yes. They'll play a tougher sked in years where they expect bigger things, but that's only a small part of it. Remember that schedules are done in many cases years in advance, particularly in football. Hoops has multi-year deals a lot of times, too. So, for instance, they had Albany locked in regardless of how this year was supposed to go.
Sometimes things change that cause schedules to change. There was one this year for example for the men, a small game that fell through. And sometimes you can get a money game like Northwestern or a game to test yourself against good competition (see Butler).
Did I get it all? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment