Fun with numbers

Well, for those who want CCSU to pass the ball more, I think you're going to be disappointed. I thought the offense was about as open as this staff will ever unleash.
Central passed 23 times for 159 yards, numbers that I never thought I'd see. Six different receivers caught passes (one of the things I'm going to ask Mac is why Nick isn't getting it more...is it just a coverage thing or has he been passed by the other WRs?).
Now I'll grant you I never coached anything but a Madden team in football, but I've watched enough to know that when you're a heavy underdog, the best way to keep the score down is to run the ball and milk the clock. The same holds true in basketball, which is probably where I got my theory from since that's my sport: if the other team is better, don't give it the ball.
I didn't have a problem with the game plan except for the end of half situation. You only live once, take a shot at it. But mainly, keeping the ball from Webb and milking the clock through runs and short passes is how I'd have gone, too. Now I don't think Mac did it to run the clock per se, but it's an added bonus.
I think football is a lot about momentum, which is why I would have taken a shot at the end of the half and why that 2-minute stretch was so big. Even if Central doesn't score down 7-0... imagine a decent drive that forces the Tribe deep in its own end and a stop.... it's 7-0 late in the quarter or even early 2nd. Might have been a different game.
The task of keeping things close, since Central isn't going to score a ton of points again, will fall on the defense. Making some big plays and getting some stops early in games will be key when times get tough against the likes of Albany. Central, whether you think it's because of coaching or personnel, doesn't have the firepower to come back from 16-point holes very often.
What did you guys think of the game?

2 comments:

  1. Ya, if you call that unleashing the passing game that is pretty conservative. Looks like the offensive coordinator is afraid to outstage the running game. Not passing to your main guy, hmmm, what could be the reason. Maybe he is not your stereotypical wide receiver but he surely resembles Wes Welker. Imagine if Brady didn't use his go to guy? Sometimes coaches believe in their beliefs so much it prevents them to think out of the box. That's what makes a difference with your average 500 team & your number one team.... experience & confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry you are not the only one wondering about Colagiovanni. Perfectly good receiver to claim some short quick yardage, let alone going deep. I have heard it in the stands more often than none. Seems like when he is in, he manages to get open. What a waste of hands. Not positive it's the coverage but I am interested in Mac & Likens response. Let us know?

    ReplyDelete