Energy drinks

At least, that's what Central hopes happens Saturday. I found the interviews I did for that story in today's paper quite interesting. I didn't go there expecting to write it, I was getting info for the preview that will be in Saturday morning's paper.
When coach Jeff McInerney mentioned to me about his team being "discombobulated", I planned on mentioning it, but it wasn't going to be a focus. But the players were so open and honest about it, I think it was insightful. Am I surprised that a team coming off a title isn't fired up for what is basically a preseason schedule? No. Does that make it OK? Not at all.
I think enough players are aware of the problem that it will be straightened out. I think this game, the home opener, will be the perfect energy booster that the team needs. The Devils should then be eager to play a big name at Youngstown before starting NEC play.
If that happens, we might look back at this week as the win that sparked, if not saved, the season. If the Devils sleepwalk through this one and barely win, as has been the case against other lower-level opponents in recent years, it could be a long year in New Britain.
Look, there's very little chance Central could actually lose this game. But a win isn't enough. The Devils need a good performance.
Time to find the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment