Cranky head coach

Ok, writing this for the second time, as I just lost my first attempt. So cranky beat writer too.
Anyway, read my story in Friday's paper about the football team's defense, or lack thereof.
Coach Jeff McInerney is livid about his team's inability to stop the run, and he should be. He went off a little bit after practice yesterday, and I'll have some of his quotes in Friday's paper. He was surprisingly candid, blaming himself as much as the players. I even asked him if part of it was playing two national powers in the first three games in an attempt to be fair and give both sides of the story, but he was adamant that the performance wasn't good enough regardless of the opposition. I think it's an interesting read, and I say that because of the subject matter, not tooting my own horn.
While I commend Mac for ripping himself too, the players also need to be held accountable. If you remember my preview, I pointed to the defense as a strength. I loved and still do love the linebackers, and was convinced that the front four had enough experience back to get the job done.
Seven rushing touchdowns in a game is unacceptable, I don't care if they were playing the Tennessee Titans. At some point, you have to tackle somebody.
Anyway, back to writing this, more to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment