Checking in before the Army game

I'll have some nuggets and hopefully another breakdown player-by-player like we did the other night after the game tonight.
Wanted to give you some thoughts from my guy Matt here, quickly becoming our best basketball commenter. We'll have to have some kind of award. The "Hud trophy" or something.
Speaking of which, I haven't checked out the CCSU message boards out there in cyber space in some time, mostly for time reasons, so please email me at mstraubblog@hotmail.com and let me know what you think about various things.
Matt (yes that's his real name, and no he's not me) checked in with a few things. First, he asked why I thought turnovers would be a problem for this team.
Answer: Because it has been for some time. Perhaps they can limit it, and I think they will, but until they do it consistently, I think you have to think of it as such. Remember, just because you're experienced doesn't mean you can't make mistakes. Do I think the vets will do a better job than the other night? Yes. But I think this team will have a bit of a bug in that regard going forward. We'll see if I'm wrong.

And by the way Matt, you didn't give me credit for getting the lineup exactly right (making me 1-for-3 in basketball predictions so far this year). Give Markeys Deans a break, it was a bad game, yes, but he's a much better player than that. Two of those ugly leaners, if my memory serves, were at the end of the clock, too.
There are two other reasons I think this is the lineup that sticks: 1) Vince Rosario's skills are better served off the bench. 2) I don't think they'd be a good defensive team, especially against bigger teams, with him in the starting lineup and Robby Ptacek the de facto '3'.
Wouldn't shock me if there's a change in the starting lineup tonight as coach Howie Dickenman might want to make a statement to Deans that he has to be better than that, but I think your starting five from Saturday night is the first five for much of the year.

Matt also said he thought Ken Horton "stopped working" against Hartford. I don't agree at all. The comparison I used was to a kid sticking his toe in the pool to see how cold the water was. he was timid, yes. But he got much better as the game went on, getting 5 boards in the second half. Put that through to a whole game and that's 10 boards. If he averages 10 boards a game, CCSU Nation will be doing backflips.
His biggest weakness, I thought anyway, was his conditioning, which surprised me. He looked winded at times and his shots were flat, a sign of weak legs. I think as he continues to work into game shape things will get better for him, and the Devils.

Matt loved De'Angelo Speech's night and so did I. I thought in some ways he was their best player. Loved the energy he provided.

Remember before the year I said this could be a lot like 2007 in that the Devils might take some lumps early as they find a rotation. I don't think they'll start 2-9 like that team (I think that was the number), but don't expect perfection for some time.

Finally, a thought or two on Army, which opened the year by pulling away from Vassar in the second half. The Black Knights shot a LOT of 3's in that game, with long-range shots accounting for nearly half their attempts. They also pounded the offensive glass, something Central fell victim to at the hands of Hartford.
Unless they make a lot of them early at home, I can't see the Black Knights having an easy time with Central tonight. I expect a better night from Horton and a stronger showing on the boards. Being on the road, Central won't get as many free throws as it did Saturday, however.
It all adds up, I think, to a five-point Central win. We'll see if I can go 2-for-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment