Biggest. Game. Ever.

It's that simple for the football team Saturday. Win, and they are likely going to the FCS playoffs. Lose, and they are certainly not.
By the way, if you haven't done the math, here it is:
IF RMU WINS: They are the league champs, no ifs ands or buts. The best CCSU could do at that point is tie at 1 loss (RMU has one league game left, so if they win Saturday then their worst case is 1 loss), and RMU would win the tiebreaker. For historical purposes the teams would be co-champs (CCSU lists its other co-championships in which they lost tiebreaks in its notes), but let's be frank, the playoffs are what matter here. 2nd place would be a LOT better than I thought this team was going to do, but it's not the playoffs.

If CCSU WINS: The Blue Devils would then need a split of their final two games to win the league's playoff bid. With a split they would have 1 loss, as would RMU, and CCSU would have the head-to-head tiebreak.
In other words, if Central wins Saturday, it would have to lose its last 2 games to lose the league title. And there's no chance of that. Even if Central loses to Monmouth, the Devils would not lose to SFPA at home with the conference on the line. I guarantee it.
Of course, if Central wins Saturday and then wins out, there's no math involved. The Blue Devils have their 2nd straight outright title. And this time, it would be good enough for a trip to the show.

All this said, while I think the game is winnable if Central plays its best, I just don't see the Devils getting this one done. They lose a close one, and I tell you why in the paper Sat. morning. Of course, I also break down how Central can win, and I do it all while naming U2 songs. So enjoy that.
Though I'll say this: I had Central as a .500 team in the league before the year, so me being wrong would be nothing new.

No comments:

Post a Comment