Big win, weird league

Just some thoughts from a wild night in the NEC.

First off, great win by the Blue Devils, who looked great. The only think I would say is that the team they played is reeling, so I wouldn't put too much stock into it by itself. But it is the next step in a potential resurgence, which is the main objective here.

Whatever happens this year, I see the makings of something REALLY fun in New Britain in two years or so.

Quinnipiac's start has impressed me, mainly because of how highly I regard the Mount this season. Let's see how they do away from the Hockey Rink though.

I admit I might have to eat crow about Wagner, but we're only four games in, so I'm not ready to yet.

RMU has a favorable schedule coming before they head here on the 24th, so that could be a huge game as the Colonials will be right at the top of the league standings by then.

Didn't believe me that Saturday night wasn't a must win between CCSU and SFNY? Look at the Terriers. They bounced back from that loss by going to Sacred Heart, holding it to 38.3 percent from the floor and stealing a win. The Pioneers are the class of the league when they're on, but if they don't shoot well, they can be had by just about anyone.

Also, the Terriers have a player in Hines who, on any given night, can beat you himself. He might be as underrated a player as there is in the league. That team's problem seems to be that when Hines goes cold, so do the Terriers.

I'll have more on this as the week goes on, but a win by CCSU on Monday against a LIU team that Coach really respects would put the Blue Devils right back in the home court discussion. Now there's a loooooooooooooong way to go, and I know I'm always the one preaching patience, but it's worth mentioning in this case because of how the year began.

By comparative scores I think LIU might be better than its record, but like I said, more on that later in the week.

As for FDU and Monmouth? My advice to the NEC is to put them both away right now, because neither strikes me as a squad anyone would be excited to play in March.

It looks like we have two teams that are the top of the heap, two more playing for the third spot (with my money on MSM being no worse than third by March), and a total logjam in the middle. Sacred Heart is still in the mix, but can't afford to fall too far off the pace. I still expect the Pioneers to change places with the Bobcats, but they're another couple losses away from having to look for help from others.

Central has the three teams right "below" it in the standings in its next three games. They could force a tie in the loss column (always remember to look at the league by losses, that's what matters because they can't be removed, while more wins can be gained) with two and get past a third, and that's if those teams win their other games.

This is why college basketball, especially at this level, is so great. The guys on ESPN who try and tell me that every game doesn't matter have no clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment