Now we're rolling

It's August and I'm starting to get football questions. Thanks for checking in Big Blue.

Let me give you a couple of thoughts on your questions. First off, I'm going to practice next week and will talk to as many people as I can. I'm going to start by trying to get a story with or about coach Stowers. But remember, he's very familiar with Mac and vice versa, and coaches tend not to hire people who disagree with their philosophy that often.

I'll say this for now: I think you pretty much answered your own questions. You're always going to see a run-first team with Mac here. Run and defense first. The option talk, as I said the other day, means you'll see some Denzell I think right away. Especially in option/wildcat type things. But again, I'll have a much better sense of this in the weeks to come.

As to your TE question. Again, for now this is just my opinion... (ducks head preparing for Hud to throw things at him)... I don't see the TE being a big part of the offense this year. To say CCSU is young at that spot is an understatement. And, well, let's just say the TE is not usually a key to Mac's offense.

That isn't to say it shouldn't be or that it won't. As I said, it's a little early for these kinds of answers. One of the main goals this early in camp, especially with a young team, is to figure out what you have. Julbes might turn out to be the next Antonio Gates, we'll have to wait and see. And I've been wrong before.
But no, I don't expect this to be a big TE year.

I think you hit it on the head, Gunnar and Denzell are the two most likely to see time at QB this year. Again, barring injury, I'm 99 percent sure Gunnar will start and Denzell will see spot situational duty in year one. As to comparing their styles... I think what Mac said about how he'll use each is self-explanatory. But I'll have a better opinion after I see Denzell in person. I've seen him play basketball, but never football.

I will pass along my note from the winter though. When I mentioned that Denzell was coming to CCSU, two of my colleagues who have seen him play in high school both said it was a great get for Central. We'll see.

Anyway, all I have for now. Thanks for reading this as always. Two ways to get a hold of me... well, there are more, but you can't have my cell phone number. Sorry, bad training camp humor.
Email me at mstraubblog@hotmail.com or leave comments here. I haven't had lots of time to check the message boards of late, so it's better to contact me directly than leave stuff for me there. But I'll hit those when I can as well.

For now, back to work and my cherry Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment