Sweeeeeep

I went to high school with a kid that ended up getting drafted by the Astros as a pitcher. One day, after he'd battled through a tough game to beat one of our big rivals, he asked me if I thought he'd pitched well. I said absolutely. I added that I was more proud of him during that game than I was during a 10 K performance against some other team the week before.

He was surprised because his stats in the more recent game weren't that impressive. I told him that battling to beat a good team when you don't have your best stuff is infinitely more impressive than dominating a bad team when you're on your game.

Tonight's game made me think of that story. CCSU played well the other day against SFPA (who is struggling to say the least), but this effort was a more satisfying win. CCSU didn't play terribly well, particularly in the first half. But the Blue Devils fought their way through the rough start and kicked it into a higher gear in the second half.

Even then, it wasn't easy, but this team has the ability to create enough havoc on defense to keep itself in the game no matter how poorly things are going on offense, which is a special trait to have.

They won't win every game the rest of the way, but they won't be blown out too often either. They're too good at staying close. By the way: That makes the Blue Devils VERY dangerous in March.

Great win for the women, who put two halves together and played well enough to win. I'm not saying they'll win the NEC, but this team is very close to figuring things out. Mark my words, you're going to start seeing some very competitive games from this team.

If you go to the men's game on Saturday, stick around for the women's game. Trust me, you'll see vast improvement.

PS: Just in case some of the players read this blog, Happy Birthday Tristan. I'm jealous, that cake looked pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment