ForThree

It wasn't a tangent, and it certainly wasn't intended to be negative towards other views... in fact the point of this blog is to interact more with you the fans. We at the Herald don't just want you to read us, we want you to talk with us and interact.
I'm trying to get a dialogue going here, that's the whole purpose. So believe me, me responding to stuff you and the other loyal fans say isn't me having rabbit ears (believe me I've been called worse than a homer in my day), it's attempting to create that interaction. You guys are our readers, we work for you as much as we do our corporate bosses. We want to talk with you.
I agree with just about everything you said in your response to my post, both the good and the bad about Central, except for the dedication part: I know Central is interested in a new building if it could get it.
But the point I think you (and others) keep missing is in the comparisons. For example, in the last comment, you were talking about UConn and Gonzaga. (I know I mentioned UConn, but someone else had first). Those aren't fair comparisons for Central.
That's not a defense of Central, it's just perspective. In fact, comparing it to schools with different financial setups like Quinnipiac isn't even really fair. Central just isn't that kind of school. The plans I saw for the new fields are nice, but it's not like they're building the Big House for football, and we know Gampel South isn't coming to New Britain anytime soon.

As for the other point, which I absolutely stand by, you made it for me even better than I had. St. John's plays a majority of its games in the mecca of college basketball and in a city that produces point guards like Nike makes jerseys. Yet they aren't doing terribly well. MSG isn't necessarily helping them. That's all I was trying to say, you can win without a glorious building, and having a building doesn't make you a winner. (Not saying they never will, but call me when the Bobcats win the NEC in their new place, LIU in theirs, etc.).
I totally agree that Central would be better off with lots of new facilities, but NEC titles can be won without them, that's all I'm saying. Since they're not coming (for basketball anyway), the fans should focus on that.
It's the generalizations that send me into a tizzy the most. Like the height thing. If that's all you look at, then you wouldn't have gotten Obie. Winners are winners, and they can be seven feet or 6-2, and they can play in a 10,000 seat palace or Detrick Gym.
Keep the emails, posts and replies coming, that's why I'm doing this blog, to talk to and with you guys. And because I love a good argument.
Matt

P.S. I'll be honest, I don't know where Beecher Court is, but I'll bet Howie could win there.

No comments:

Post a Comment