Thoughts on Game 1

Yuck and whew. Special teams saved the day on this one.

Where to start? Ok, the part everyone always asks me about first. I wouldn't be surprised to see both QBs play again Saturday. I think Mac found himself in a dogfight he wasn't expecting and had to ditch the experiment plans to try and win the game, so he went with what he knew.

And, at the risk of sounding like I'm rooting, I thought Aubrey was OK. Three years of knowing Mac leads me to believe you'll never see a true spread offense at CCSU (sorry Hud), so I'm not even sure anymore that the QB is that big a deal. However, I will say that Hunter shouldn't be beaten up based on his numbers. He played one real series, and everyone in the building (including the Bryant defense) knew he was in to pass the ball, so it's hard to judge him on one game.

My biggest concern isn't the QB, it's the offensive line. Mac entered the game with a ton of faith in them, and they did a good job run blocking. But to let the QB go down 4 times just doesn't cut it.

The defense has to improve. That type of performance (I don't question their effort) will lead to 70 points for NDSU on Saturday.

My biggest concern is the big mistakes. You can't get that penalty before the half, and I don't think I've ever seen a high school team punt without a punter. I don't know whose fault that one was, but it seems to me that there should be someone in charge of checking that everyone's ready.

Still I see some positives. Mallory was outstanding and the team showed some spunk by rallying. Maybe this was the gut-check they needed to put the odd training camp behind them and band together.

If I'm Mac, I walk in Monday morning, show the Georgia Southern film, then say (insert name here) is the quarterback, everyone is going to play, we're all going to pitch in and we're going to win.

But as I always say, I'm not a coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment