And we're back.

First off, I hope all of you had a wonderful summer. I got in my first real vacation in....gosh, years probably, and I'm refreshed and excited for fall sports at CCSU.
Did you miss me? :)
First, a selfish plug: Great job by the Berlin American Legion team, especially the shortstop!
Ok, but you guys want to hear about football, so let's get into it. Because I was following my nephew's team I didn't get to football until this week, but talked to tons of people at practice today and observed for awhile.
So here's what I know, with the footnote that I'll learn much more between now and opening kick.
Granted, I watched some of one practice, but I did notice a couple changes. Not only was CCSU throwing the ball more, but the Devils looked comfortable doing it. I plan on doing a lot more on the offense, but I would say this for now: I think they plan on implementing portions and principles from the Florida offense, I don't think you'll see them running it exclusively.
I will talk to Hunter more about being "the" quarterback as the summer goes on, but I can see he just seemed like it today. It's one of those intangible things, but that's the vibe I got. Much more on Aubrey to come, but I will say he was giving instructions and being a leader, so however he gets used, his attitude is great. Which matches what everyone told me. In fact, I'll scoop myself here, as I'll have a full story on this soon, but I have it on good authority that he asked to play multiple positions. We'll see how he's used, but I think he'll see some snaps at QB too.
The biggest change I noticed was the vibe. CCSU has (I have to check but I think the number is 16) returning starters, and it acted like it. This is an experienced group that is working on the little things more than the basics, a great sign. The players I talked to are dreaming of a playoff berth, not just a NEC title. We'll see what happens.
Until then, gimme questions at mstraubblog@hotmail.com and tell me what you want asked or looked for and I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment