Cleaning out the (mental) notebook

Sorry I've been away for a couple of days... had to do some high school things (which I always enjoy), was covering for a co-worker in the office for a couple of days, and then I took a much-needed day-long nap.

First off, congrats to Milan Brown and the Mount. Despite what it may seem considering how much I touted them of late, I barely know the man, but I respect what they've done the last couple of seasons. They're just one of those teams that doesn't do anything spectacular, but can just beat you. Defense always wins. Don't get me started about how much I hate the play-in game. Why send a team that is craving a chance to play in this thing to a "kind of tourney game" just to aid the 7th team in a big conference that had all year to prove it belonged in the dance. And you know what's coming next? We're going to go to 68, and there will be a play-in in each region, because Syracuse and their .500 league record needs to be there.
Don't give me the "64 best teams" argument either. If that were the goal, we'd eliminate all the "1-bid" leagues, there'd be 150 fewer D-1 schools, and you'd lose championship week, one of the best stretches in all of sports, so two 9th place teams from BCS leagues could play. Charm can be more important than quality sometimes.

On the other side of the coin is Dave Bike, who is a very nice man who seems to be incredibly respected in the league. I was sad to see him not make the dance, as I was to see Drew Shubik and his class end their run short twice. I would tell them that there are many teams that would love to be in their shoes, so they shouldn't feel too bad. They played in the biggest game the NEC offers twice, and played their hearts out both times. Not everything in life is about execution, wins and losses. What they did and the way they did it should be commended.

No comments:

Post a Comment