Quickies on the QBs

Much more to come in the paper this week, but I wanted to give you guys two quick thoughts, one from me and one from Mac.

Mine: I thought both QBs did a great job today. Hunter was accurate and Aubrey changed the pace. Today I really felt like they hamstrung Hunter, however. When he's in there, they should let him fire the ball. I felt like he was playing Aubrey's offense, particularly early. Though I think the two get stereotyped too much. Hunter is a much better runner than people think, and Aubrey is a much more accurate passer (look it up, I'm not making this up) than people give him credit for.
I admit I was surprised Hunter played so much, but not because I'm anti-Hunter or thought it was the wrong move. Mac told me during the week that they were "going to go with the hot hand and do what's right." He hates naming one, so you have to kind of guess a little, and I took the "hot hand" comment to mean Aubrey, going by the second half against Columbia.
After 15 games or whatever it is by now with the 2-headed monster, I'm officially done guessing. They'll both play I assume. As another reporter said during the game about Mac's process: "do you wonder if he's just flipping a coin and sending the winner out there?."

Anyway, none of that should overshadow a gritty effort. Yes, this game should have been won more easily, but you have to give CCSU credit for finding a way. Good teams do.

Now the Mac story. I'll let him share it. This is in the locker room at half, after CCSU had made a host of adjustments to the offense. Mac told Aubrey he was going in, and here's what happened.

Mac speaking: “I’ll tell you the truth. We went in and made the adjustments and Aubrey said ‘coach I think Hunter is better suited for that.’ I’ll tell you what, they’re class guys. I love those guys. They root and cheer… I might not ever have two guys like this again. We just have to hope and pray I make the right decision.”

Now, the cynic reporter in me says he's covering for Aubrey there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, knowing the kids. Hunter would do the same thing I think. Anyway, time to get a couple hours of sleep before soccer.

1 comment:

  1. CCSU walked a fine line on Saturday. Playing it conservative-again-could make them or break them. In this case- Sacred Heart- gave them a bit of a scare. Not good, to start the confrence season. Playing in that capacity shows NO Confidence and definate hesitation by the OC. Not sure if it pure stubborness or lack of confidence and/or experience. It's been 4 years with this regime , this team should win the confrence this year. If not ..time to re-evaluate don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete