Stuff

Back to the coverage debate.
So I admit I haven't been reading the message boards and comments as frequently lately (been busy with other things), or I'd have seen that a couple people knew about Hunter before I did.
Mac had told me on Saturday (by phone) that there was a big injury, but he couldn't get into details until they were sure.
So when I did my usual Wednesday practice visit, I saw him in a sling.
As for what gets covered when: I went into detail about my schedule earlier this week. And it gets crazier next week when hoops starts. Remember, at a place like the Courant has specific guys for each sport. My good friend Mike Anthony, for example, worries primarily about UConn men's hoops.
This week I will be writing stories about football, women's soccer, men's soccer, and both basketball teams. Also, I have to do high school stuff on occasion. So that's why I'm not at football practice every day. I'm a fat guy, but there's not enough of me to go around!
Hud, I didn't forget about reasking your TEs question. But between Hunter's injury and the Albany game itself, it wasn't the right time to bring the argument back up. I will though, I promise.
As for media creating interest, both sides are right. Hud, you're right that the media creates interest, but that's at the national level. ESPN has MADE the country care about football (along with gambling) more than the other sports. But that doesn't work at the local level.
That's where 4-3 is right. The crowds for both soccer programs are growing greatly over the last two years. But I can't make you guys care about soccer if you don't. I'm not important enough. Though I warn you now, I'm going to be IMPLORING you all to get to the NEC tourney in New Britain. The women are good and should be earning a title. It's the first time their tourney has been here since 2005, and I still remember the students lining the fence all the way around the field that day.
By the way, speaking of fans needing to step up: your butts better fill Arute Field Saturday. If you ever want CCSU to be taken seriously outside of New Britain, you NEED to make this game an event. This is the biggest football game in years in that building. FILL THAT PLACE. Make the tv stations care.
As for volleyball... I have the same scheduling issue every year where I see them at the start and then never get there again once soccer and football are in full swing, so my plan this year is to hold off until they get to the tourney, then do a big feature. Or have someone do it if I don't have time.
Ronny: Getting an honest answer out of a coach can be a chore. Mac knows when to not say something. And if you noticed what I blogged the other day in response to Hud's question, I mentioned that the answer he gave was kind of dancing around the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment