You asked, so I asked

Ok, while I've talked to Mac a million times this year, today I had a chance to get him with some rare down time and so I asked some of the "other" questions I've gotten from you guys that I said I would ask him.

Hud, I think this was yours, and Mac said it was a "great question." I wish I had asked it myself now!
Q: In order to create a spark, why not take the ball first since you've won every toss this year?

Mac: "That is a great question. I had a coach ask that. I like getting the ball first in the second half. How many pssessions have we scored on the first possession of the second half in the second half and scored?"
(Note from Matt: The answer is every game except William and Mary if you count Paul's kickoff return vs. SHU and 3 of 5 if you don't, as CCSU didn't score on its first offensive possession of the half.)
"I'd rather have the ball first in the second half to make halftime adjustments. You get that extra possession, supposedly, in the second half. ... I just feel like, if we're slow starters, why would I want to go three and out to start the game?"

So that's his theory. Not saying you have to agree with him, but give him credit for answering. A lot of coaches get mad when you dare question their strategy. Mac goes over it when asked.

Now, about Nick C, who Mac said he gets asked about all the time.
Mac: "Nick's doing great. Nick plays 20-30 more snaps than the other guys. Richie only plays in certain personennel groupings. Nick plays in all the personnel groupings. Fisher only plays in certain personnel groupings... Last week we tried to get the ball to Nick five times where he was the lead guy. It just didn't happen. You don't just say 'throw it to Nick.' It has to happen in the offense.... Sometimes they play cover 2 and put someone over the top on him. We have reads and if it's not there we throw it to someone else. It's not done on purpose. He'll get his share.
Nick does so many little things for us. He's our holder and he's an A at it. We couldn't win games without him. Just catching punts is so huge. You could go a lifetime without someone who catches the ball as well as him.... The guy helps us win games in all kinds of ways."

Off tow rite more about the hoops stuff (it will be more about their attitude and the style of play than the rotations, that won't be decided for some time), but I wanted to give you guys your answers.

Any more questions, you know what to do. mstraubblog@hotmail.com or comment on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment