Now this is fun

LOVE the hoops debates we have going, let's keep it up.
RR, you're going to be my hoops Hud, and I mean that as a compliment. Love the debates.
First, not sure which post you were talking about, but I was saying in the last one CCSU should make the Sun their Civic Center, not that they should play at the Civic Center. In other words, play 2 big ones there a year. I bet URI would play Central there every year (though judging by Saturday that would turn into a road game). The point is, you can get a game or two there, maybe even a big league game (Quinny?). That would instantly raise the cache, but the fans would then have to supply the atmosphere.
Which goes to the other point. Maybe the 1,500 who would go see Central play on the moon can talk about what they deserve, but I was talking about the fan base as a whole.
Those who deserve it are getting quite a bit (I'm going to Jersey this weekend for example). There are some big names on the schedule every year. Next year you're going to get to watch a team with a legit shot to make the dance again. Which, if it happens, would make the average about once every three years.
My biggest fight on this topic of "Central can't get better" is that some people don't seem to appreciate what they already have. Would you rather have Quinny's money or Central's success across almost all sports?
Yes, they need to figure out a way to market better. I've told everyone who would listen that they need a student section. But then the students have to promise to fill it. Will they?
There should be more billboards. You have a state treasure coaching the men's team and a women's program on an historic climb. They should plug the heck out of that, but some of that has to do with money. Some of it has to do with the need for better marketing.
Oh, and RR, one more point I forgot. You're right that I was using an extreme example with URI because of who they were playing. But let me close with this question. If Central had been the first game, how many more people would have been there? If they were playing OK St?

No comments:

Post a Comment