Checking in

Hoping to have big news for you on Tuesday, but wanted to tell you that it involves our coverage, which is what I meant by your reward for being so loyal by reading the paper and the blog here as you guys do. You do a tremendous job, and it's because of you that our coverage is possible and I try so hard for you guys.
Expected it today, but should have it Tuesday. Will let you know as soon as I do.
As for the weekend: The men showed marked improvement on offense. With Shemik out (and no, I don't think it's a long-term thing at all, will let you know if that changes), I expected the offense to be awful. But Robby is playing splendidly, and Dave will only get better as he gets back in the flow. Throw in a healthy Shemik and the continued improvement of the newcomers (Markeys I think is going to be a big factor before too long), I think the offense will be ok. I'm not saying they'll score 90 a night and win the league but I like what I've seen lately and think they'll be fun to watch as the year goes along.
The women got a big win at Toothpaste U. I like what they're doing, and really, really think they're on the verge of something here. Throw in the fact that a vast majority of the kids will be back next year, and Beryl is sitting on a goldmine in terms of growth. I really think they're the next Sacred Heart in the women's NEC.
Speaking of improvement, I'm working on a story about next year's recruits, and I think you'll be pleased. Assuming Kenny comes back healthy next year, Central will actually be deep up front. When was the last time we could say that? Not since I've been covering them, that's for sure.
Football: With the holiday and the off week, we laid low on football coverage, and to be honest I'm behind even on checking the boards and my blog email (shoot me a note at mstraubblog@hotmail.com). Will catch up with all that, and I PROMISE tons on the football team as we get closer to the Classic. Should be fun.
Check this thing Tuesday, will let you know hopefully some fun news.
On a side note, would you guys be interested in furthering the blog part of our coverage? One of the things I want you to email me about is interest in a Twitter type deal, which I'd do much more often since it would just be quick thoughts.
Also remember I blog as much as possible during hoops games. Check especially before the games for news on lineup changes and the like. Also, I do halfitme on the radio and net for every women's home game, check that out. Hoping to do more men's stuff this year on that side.

1 comment:

  1. Matt Straub posted:

    "Speaking of improvement, I'm working on a story about next year's recruits, and I think you'll be pleased. Assuming Kenny comes back healthy next year, Central will actually be deep up front. When was the last time we could say that? Not since I've been covering them, that's for sure."

    This is why I have been so critical as a fan Matt. There once was a time that CCSU MBB was deep up front, in the early years of Howie Dickemmans's coaching career at CCSU. I don't know why the philosphy changed in recruiting, but it did seem to change when Sellers, Latina, and Pickel left. I don't know Curran, Pappas, Walker, or Payne (watched Victor play all four years) but it seems like they like to recruit smaller scrappy players. I ope this changes. I don't think it is a problem with Howie but more a problem with the mentality of his assistant coaches. The teams make-up changed when the assistant coachings taff changed. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete