Catching up

So I've been working so much that I haven't had time to update the old blog.
So let's run through the week since the last time I did this, then give some thoughts on the topics of the day.
As always, please give me your thoughts at mstraubblog@hotmail.com

Friday: A gutty effort by the Devils, hindered by two absences. Sitting a few feet away, I watched Shemik gut out that game and am absolutely convinced that Central would have won had it not been for the 7 minutes he sat in the first half. They were down 2 when he left and played the second half I think down 1 with him the whole half. If he plays, they're at the very least in the game late, giving the shooters a realistic shot. You never know. But I think they win.
To the argument that you have to play Shemik with 2 fouls: no way. You'd rather lose him in the first half than the second. Maybe you try and steal the last minute of the half with him in, but he has to sit most of the time there. Dave coming back will be nice, too.

Saturday: What to say about the biggest comeback (in terms of importance) in school history? Great job by the defense in the fourth quarter, and a gutty effort by the offense. Again, the running game wears down the D and sets up a big play downfield. Great job by Aubrey and Josue to rescue the play, too. The key now will be Central's ability to keep focused heading into Saturday. Playing a bad team with so much on the line lends itself to a letdown the week after a big one. I think Central's seniors hold the fort and book a trip to the midwest.

Monday: The women are going to be good. Struggling to finish against two teams from allegedly better leagues isn't that bad a thing, especially since Central had both games in its sights. All that's left to do is iron out the slow starts. When Central fights for loose balls and boards and gets a spark from the likes of Dowdy, it will be fine.
The men need experience and Simmons. A win in the meantime to get their spirits up would be nice, too. There will be nights like this for a team that relies so heavily on outside shooting. No shots, no win.

Btw, I don't remember if I mentioned this during my trips to hoops practice, but if not I feel bad since I killed Central for it last year. GREAT job fixing the devil at midcourt and having it face the hard camera. It will look a million times better on tv now. I also like that the women's banner is blue. Nice way to make it different.

As for the recruiting: Getting three starters from a class is a good thing. Yes the rest of that class is gone, but sometimes that's a mutual thing. Sometimes schools like when guys they don't want leave so they can replace them with someone else.
Baskerville has played 2 games. Let's not close the book on him either way for at least another year. Talk to me at the end of next season.
This year's group: I like Deans, Vince can shoot from anywhere, and Howie LOVES Efese. I have to find an excuse to get the quotes I have from him about Joe E. into a story. He's VERY high on him. We shall see.
Lots of good rumors about next year, I'll see what I can find out.

1 comment:

  1. I agree on Chris. He's got more games to prove himself this year

    Remember, Howie "loved" Tamir as well. Now he's at a D-II school.

    Recruiting is an issue and it needs to be discussed further.

    ReplyDelete