A depressing weekend

Wanted to catch up with some thoughts on the weekend before I go back to working on hoops previews. (Not sure exactly the schedule for the week, but I can promise you lots coming.)
As for football... what a gut-wrenching setback. Hard to place too much blame on the offense, it scored 27. I will say that I didn't understand those early decisions by Mac in the first half that led to TOs... but in the end it came down to "live by the sword, die by the sword."
I don't think it's fair to rip Central for winning a host of close games this year. Did their running, conservative style allow for some close game? Yes. Did it help them win a bunch of games late? Absolutely.
Think of it like a boxer: fans like Mike Tyson, who knocked people out but couldn't last in a long fight. Lennox Lewis, who jabbed his way through 12 boring rounds, won almost all his fights. He just ran into a right hand against Rahman.
That's what happened to the Devils. The opposition threw one final, desperate haymaker and connected.
If Central makes that one last stand, we're talking about a gutty effort to win a road game despite a rash of illnesses. Instead, we're lamenting possible end of what was once a run to a title.
I do think Albany will show up against Wagner, as it can cause a three-team craziness situation (if they got help with a CCSU loss to Monmouth) that I have to investigate further.
The point is, I think both sides of the argument are extreme. This was a bitter loss and everyone should be disappointed since the title was there for the taking (the FCS playoffs are no longer an option either), but I don't think it means that the seven wins are meaningless. They can still get to 9 for I believe the 2nd time in school history. That IS a big deal.
Speaking of bad beats, I'm SICK for the soccer girls. They beat literally every team in the NEC, avenged their one tie with a win in the rematch, and the one loss Sunday ends their run?
Conference tournaments make money, but they are patently unfair.
Unless the Central men use them to make the Sweet 16 in men's soccer. Then I think they're great.
Kidding, of course. Anyway, I truly hope Leah Blayney and company can appreciate what they accomplished. A wonderful year by a great group. And a FANTASTIC job by the football team and all the other students who packed the soccer field for Sunday's game. Wonderful show of support. Really classy move by some of the other teams on campus.
I'll have a men's soccer follow, speaking of great kids, as well this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment