The good, the bad, and the band

Well, an interesting day. First off, while 8,322 might be considered generous by some, I can confirm that tons of people were out in the parking lot and came in just for the halftime and postgame shows. Was it 2,000? (I'm estimating about 6,000 for the game itself). I 'm not sure. But there were a lot more people than I thought who came in just for the band.

Anyway, quick thoughts on the game:

1) Well, I was all set to say "New Britain, we have a quarterback," after Hunter looked terrific early, but Aubrey did enough things to impress Mac and keep things interesting. But Hunter did very well. He'll take his share of sacks this year, but I like that he doesn't try and force the ball away in those spots. A sack is better than a turnover. Still, Aubrey threw the ball efficiently and ran six yards a carry, so he'll be tough to take off the field.

2) Defensively, CCSU was good when it had to be. I wouldn't worry too much about the final couple of drives, but I also wouldn't get too excited by the performance. It was a good day for sure, but the opposition wasn't exactly impressive on offense. Mac thought there was a particular schematic issue that led to a couple of the NCCU deep balls, so we'll see if those get fixed next week. My guess is that's more encouraging than someone getting beat, which is harder to fix.

3) I know everyone runs at Central these days, but Mallory is impressive. Most interesting to me is when you talk to him after the game. Most backs look like they've been through a long day during a post game presser. Mallory looks like he just came from class. He can run all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment