Scholarship stuff

First off, a quick note. NBHS got their game moved to Thursday night, so no notebook. There will be a full football preview though in Saturday morning's paper.

In the meantime, I thought I'd try and tide you over by answering another set of questions: For now I'll just give the broad strokes.

I was asked about the whole football scholarship thing. I'll have to go back and read what I wrote at the start of the year, but I believe the plan is to eventually get up to 40.

Do I think CCSU will ever go to 63?

Just me speaking now, but no, I don't, at least not in the near future. The revenue just doesn't strike me as there. My guess is they'd have to bring in a lot more money to make it a worthwhile investment. I don't see the interest here to make it worth it.

As for Bryant pouring money into football: I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but the coach said during the NEC conference call before the year that 1) they don't intend to change their recruiting practices and 2) By the time they offered full scholarships, he'd be long retired on a golf course somewhere.

So no, I didn't have the impression that Bryant had any intention to spend big on football.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Matt. However, wouldnt' raising schlarships to a level which made CCSU attractive to FBS teams bring in revenue? Right now CCSU is a non-counter, thus their ability to schedule such games is severly limtied which cuts off a lot of revenue options. I agree though, full scholarship football won't happen anytime soon. It is a good 10-15 years away. I beleive CCSU's money is better spent in upgrading football facilites right now. A full scholarship program would be pointless if CCSU had inadequate football facilites (I'm including training and workout faclities, not just Arute Field).

    In a thread on CCSUFANS.com a poster mentioned that OVC members are not at a full 63 scholarships, however, they are at the 53 (?) scholarship level to be a "counter" in an FBS game, thus they have revenue generating games on their schedule on a regular basis.

    Do you foresee the NCE inching towards the 53 scholarships (coutner) level in order to give it's members the opportunity to generate revenue?

    Thanks for the info and eduacton on FCS football. As I said in the threads, as a fanthese forums are my classroom. I have learned so much abut the game off the field, a part of the game that too many fans forget.

    ReplyDelete