Change of plans

I was going to catch up on the last 4 days or so of hoops, but I can't help getting sucked into this debate, especially since I was now asked.

Blue: Since you asked, I'm sorry but you're crazy.

Where to start? First off, Ken does have to keep bulking up. He's not a guard and what makes him so effective is his ability to play inside and out. Therefore he needs to be able to be solid inside.

And when he "disappears" it is often because he has two, sometimes three players on him. What makes him have the chance to be a star is that he doesn't try and force offense. Sorry, but him working on two defenders isn't as good an option as getting someone else the ball. And how about the other night when he had four points but 12 boards? He finds ways to pitch in. As he gets older he'll get more of the mean streak he needs, but to knock him is just silly.

Joe has actually picked up his offense in recent games. And he actually has done a decent job filling in at the backup 1 at times lately.

Dave is shooting 58 percent this year, up from 43 last year. How is that not making strides? Tamir played some of the best ball of his career during that last road trip by the way.

The comments about not practicing correctly or being coached are too wild to even respond to. I know you're cranky that Robert Morris beat them, but really, you can't possibly believe that.

Let me take you back to 2005. I bet, had I been doing this blog, I'd have seen you rip that team for finishing eighth with a bunch of kids on it that had no help. That team had a ton of underclassmen who went on to do some pretty good things if you recall.

Now look at this year's team. I had them 12-6 before the year and that's not yet impossible, but they won't be more than a game off that total. Shemik, Ken, Dave, Tamir, Aaron and Robby have two or three more years in them and we haven't seen what Rosario can even do yet.

To say this team isn't getting better is also wrong. The Devils are in a fight for a home game in the tourney, something they didn't get last year. Am I guilty of thinking they'd progress a little faster? Yeah. But am I going to let you say that a team with ONE SENIOR that is in the top half of the league is poorly coached and has no potential? Heck no.

Should they have lost at Monmouth? No. But young teams drop bad games once in awhile. If they had given up one fewer basket at the Mount are we even having this conversation? No. As for Saturday, they lost to a good team that is playing unbelievably well right now.

I appreciate that everyone wants to win now. But to lose focus on the big picture, or to just say that everything stinks because your team isn't winning every game is foolish.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, I see your point about Kenny Horton. He is definately not a guard, however I believe he is definately not a Power Forward either. That is why I frequently refer to him as a Small Forward. With that said, yes, I do believe he needs to bulk up somewhat, but it seems as though from what I hear in interviews on the broadcast that CCSU is trying to turn him into a Power Forward which he is not. The whole point of my arguement is that Kenny Horton is a good player and Kenny Horton needs help underneath in the presence of a Rob Robinson, Travis Taylor, Ryan Howard type player. He cannot do it alone. I also do not believe that the answer to this problem is on the team and that CCSU needs to go out and make a splash with atleast one (hopefully two) legitimate size (bulk and height) Power Forward type players. I know, this topic keeps re-surfacing...the preverbial "beating the dead horse". But, NEC teams will continue to defeat CCSU even when Horton is a mature and experienced senior if Howie doesn't bring in some help for him. I'd hate to see the nucleus of Horton, Thompson, and Ptacek not have the chance to go to an NCAA tourney. CCSU doesn't need players like Marcus Palmer just because they are 6'6" . CCSU needs Power Forward build, low-post oriented players...it doesn't matter if they are 6'4" or 6'8", they just need a wide body with some grit underneath. I'd prefer a few 6'7" and 6'8" guys to match up against the current underclassman in the league and on the recruting ledgers of NEC teams.

    With that said, I do not see this team making much noise in the NEC tourney this year. They have already proven they cannot match up physically against RMU or SHU and MSMU just out plays them. I don't see this changing next year unless the roster make-up changes through recruiting. In fact, I see LIU and Monmouth moving ahead of CCSU in the NEC power rankings.

    The future just doesn't look good to me at CCSU for MBB right now. Look at the rosters of other teams, their underclassman and their incoming recruits. CCSU is in trouble for a few years as I look down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue,
    Horton IS the Robinson, Mickens type guy, he's just a sophomore right now.
    Trust me: God willing, if I'm still blogging in two years when Shemik, Ken, Dave and Robby are destroying people in the NEC, I will repost some of your rants and you will laugh and beg the Blue Devil Nation for forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete