Update and a rant

First off, wanted to remind you that I will have a breakdown of CCSU's recruiting class in the paper tomorrow.
Only one I know much about so far is Chris Linares, an exceptional athlete at New Britain. Has baseball-level hand-eye coordination, which will help him. Interesting to see what they do with him, because I remember him being not that big.

While I have the floor... first off, let me say that I don't think the NCAA will ever actually go to 96 teams for the big dance. That said, let me remind them of why it's an awful idea.
1) You kill the regular season at the higher levels. You think the season gets made fun of now? Try getting someone to care when every team .500 or better in a BCS league gets in.
2) You kill the conference tourneys at the higher levels. Wanna make the Big East tournament and ACC tournament totally meaningless? Let them all in.
3) You kill the good non-BCS tourneys. The CAA semifinals are a perfect example. ODU, Mason and Northeastern playing for MAYBE two spots. Give them an at-large or two and, while I'd be happy to see good teams like that finally get a chance to dance, you're officially saying the season starts on Selection Sunday.

But, since I always chide people that email me complaints without a solution, I'll give the NCAA one. You want Jim Boeheim to stop whining? 68 teams. I'd prefer the Tuesday quadruple header be for the 12 seeds. And if the NCAA is smart, that's what they would do. This year is an extreme example, but it makes my point so I'll use it. What would get ESPN better ratings? A typical play-in game between the NEC and Southland champions, or a game between UConn and North Carolina with a bid on the line?
It's going to end up that the bottom 8 league champs play for each 16 seed, but it's better than Bobby Knight's idea of 64 big teams and no one-bid league champs getting in. So we'll take what we can get I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment