A quick apology

Big Blue,
Not sure which blog specifically you were refering to, but I certainly wasn't attempting to "lecture" anyone. If it came across that way, I apologize.

I was merely trying to give you my opinion, which is what I'm supposed to do here, along with getting more insight, which I'm working on all the time. I strive to get you guys answers to all your questions, it just takes time sometimes. Hopefully it comes through which is which. Remember, I'm new to this whole interactive thing.

In the meantime, I try and give you my takes on the issues of the moment. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong on some things, I'm just giving you my thoughts.

My point about the "5" is this: Especially at NEC-type levels, guards and speed are taking over. Basketball as a whole is changing. Before I'm done in this business, the "5" will take more jumpers than they will dunk. That's why I combined height with presence, because they are often the same thing (though Horton has both and I believe will be that presence in a year or 2).

Those are my observations from following the game in various capacities and at different levels. Certainly wasn't intended to be a lecture.

1 comment:

  1. bMatt, Lecture might have been too strong a word. As far as your comments and opinions, I do respect them. Everyone just has different opinions on the game. You, me, everyone. You are most likely correct, the game is changing and the "5" is changing. Maybe I'm mis-using the term or example of a "5". I know I've said this before, but I'm not specifically looking for a 6'9"+ guy to fill that role. I would be happy with a 6'7" who can play with his back to the basket, back his man down, dominate on the boards, and be that presence as an interior player. If it means 6'6" Baskerville / 6'5" Simmons at the "5", 6'7" S.Johnson / 6'6" Palmer at the "4", 6'6" Horton / or a guard in the "3", if that lineup works then I'm fine with that lineup. I became somewhat defensive because people thought I was pushing for height. I was emphasizing a combination of height and skill for each position. Yes, I brought up 6'8" Corsley Edwards and 6'4" Dean Walker...and yes, do I wish we had players like them again...YES. But, it doesn't mean we have to have that "height" player. If the 6'5" -6'7" forwards and the 6'2"- guards can get it done, so be it. I just want enough height to match up with other NEC opponents in the future. AS I told 4-3, I'll even regress on the non-conference arguement. Design the team to win the NEC. All I have to say isif CCSU wants to succede beyond the NEC in March , then CCSU needs the horses in the stable to have a chance.

    How did we all survive as sports fans in the past without this spontaneous online interaction? Now, there is an idea to research. Great reading your stuff Matt. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete