Allow me to add my two cents

First off, what a weekend. I think I wrote six stories. Two great soccer games and the football team pulling out a giant victory.
I'll have more on that as the week goes on, we're planning a bunch of notebooks.
I wanted to chime in on the topic of the day, however, and that's media coverage of the Blue Devils.
First off, I think a lot of the fans' focus is misplaced. Don't try and be UConn, find your niche as the number two team in the state. Without any disrespect to the great people I work with at Central, the Huskies are always going to be top dogs (pun intended) in this state media wise. The goal of Central fans who want more attention should be to fight off Hartford and Yale.
With that said, there are two ways to do that. The first is by winning, which the people at Central are getting pretty good at. No one ignored CCSU's tourney run last year. I'm always amazed by the other writers who are suddenly next to me at soccer games when the women make the tournament. If the football team makes the postseason, it'll be fighting off all the media who will show up.
The second (and most important) step is up to you, Blue Devil fans. We the media cover what people want covered. That's why Britney Spears is a bigger deal than the president.
As CCSU has garnered more buzz in recent years, our coverage at the Herald has increased (I'd never be going to Wagner for a football game like I am now in the old days). Now you guys have a blog dedicated to your school and on Saturday there were four stories in the local paper on your school. That other paper in the state staffs just about every football game now, as well.
But now you guys have to step up. The crowd on Saturday was smaller than it was for the Southern game. You want to draw reporters? Give us a crowd to follow. We go where you go.
If you want more buzz, you have to create it. It doesn't work the other way around. The media won't help you create buzz, you have to give them a reason to cover you. CCSU gave you 4,000 more seats. Fill the seats you have, then all the extra ones, and more media guys like me will come, I PROMISE. You want the TV channels to come? Make sure they know that New Britain is the place to be.
Until then, you're stuck with me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Matt - good points. Winning breed attendance.

    I agree and think more CCSU fans/students/community need to get out to games! That is the not the job of the media.

    I'm not sure why the attendance at basketball is so low. We all know its a good product that wins games and championships. Maybe its the facility?

    However, as bad as its is I do think that in most seaosn during past 7 years or so, CCSU has led almost all other non-UConn college basketball teams in attendance.

    As for football, we need work there too, but it is growing. I'd also note this is a D-I program that draws comparably with minor league professional sports in the state which get much more TV coverage.

    2006-07 AVG Attendance:
    NB Rock Cats - 5,340
    Hartford Wolf Pack - 4,563
    B'port Sound Tigers - 4,386
    CCSU Football - 3,544 (2007)
    Conn. Defenders - 3,003
    CCSU Men's hoops - 2,497 (01-02)
    B'port Bluefish - 2,426
    CCSU Men's hoops - 2,015 (06-07)

    So CCSU fans have work to do filling those seats, but I think we're pretty lucky to be stuck with you! :)

    ReplyDelete