CT hoops

First, I did post your comment. Look at the "1 comment" listed under the post you commented on. It's yours. And I've posted the one you left today.
Second, I appreciate your specifics, let me respond to them.
First, you left out the things I wrote about in that list about the men, particularly the turnovers and the need for a point guard. Also, I forgot to mention there was the series of stories about the lack of heart after Howie's "not a Blue Devil" speech.
As for the antics of the coach, that's not exactly news. Howie yells at his players. So does Jim Calhoun, Jim Boehim, Frank Martin, Bob Huggins and Mike Rice off the top of my head. John Calipari consistently talks about his team being bad to the press despite the fact that it's about to get a 1-seed. Plus, this is a fact that's well-known, it's not like he only does it in practice. I've said how tough practice can be. So I'm not sure what it is you want reported there. If you're asking me to criticize it, I can't because that's the kind of coach I want my kid playing for, someone who's tough but gets the most out of his kids. If you want to say you think a coach shouldn't yell at his kids, say so and I'll be glad to post your opinion. I just don't agree.
About the technicals: I only remember a couple this year. If they're relevant, I mention them. Like if the other team goes on a 10-0 run after, I mention it. I only mention the other coaches' T's if they lead to a momentum swing, too.
I don't want to put words in your mouth, so let me know if I'm not understanding you right, but I think you're saying you don't like Howie's antics and don't think a coach should get a T. And that's a totally valid opinion, even if I don't agree.
About the kids leaving the program: We touched on this last summer. Tamir wanted playing time if I remember correctly. Aaron, and this is just my opinion, left because he didn't like Howie's style. Shemik mentioned last week that only "tough players" make it through Central. That's accurate. But again, that's not exactly anything new. Yes, there's higher turnover at places with "hard-nosed" coaches, but it's not unusual.
As I mentioned last year, the kid that went to Farifield, from what I heard various places, didn't have the attitude Central looks for. Yes, the style scares some kids off and runs some others out. The question is if that's a good or bad thing. But with kids changing their minds about where to go, that's extremely common at this level. That's one of the many reasons I don't talk much about recruiting. Kids get what they consider to be better offers. But much more of that has to do with playing time than whether or not they're going to be yelled at. They know that when they agree to come in the first place.
I think I got it all, but if there's something I didn't cover, as I said, feel free to let me know. I'm happy to discuss anything.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I don't get the technical foul thing. I've always complained that Howie doesn't ride the refs enough. I only remember one technical foul this year...usually Howie only gets on the officials when he really knows he's right. Or if he wants to fire up his team.
    There IS part of me that wishes he wasn't quite so hard-nosed, only because kids would be more interested in playing for him. But you take the good with the bad, and there's plenty good with Howie.
    I am happy he decided to go with some different offensive sets towards the end of the season. Do you think that was a case of him realizing utilizing the weave for 35 mins a game wasn't working? I know the weave is a basic offense but we use it more than anyone else. Not coincidentally, when we tried some different stuff we actually played better.

    ReplyDelete