One more night

Before I forget, congratulations to Mike Rice and Robert Morris for a well-earned title, and to Tom Moore for turning that Quinnipiac program from an underachiever to a player in the NEC. And to those kids, who played their butts off all year. I'm thrilled the NIT went to the automatic system and the regular season champs get in. That's the ONLY thing I like about the 96-team tourney possibility... that Quinny would dance under next year's expected format.

I'm going to hold off on doing the season recap blog stuff until I talk to Howie, which I'm going to do Friday. We were both running around a bit and haven't gotten together.

CT hoops:
I certainly don't mind criticism, but I'd love if you were a bit more specific. I can't argue or agree with your point when you're so general.
However, let me try and defend myself a little in the meantime.
First, remember that I am a beat writer and not a columnist. If you read the Courant stuff about the UConn men for instance, think of me as Mike Anthony, not Jeff Jacobs. It's very rarely my job to tell you what I think (that's what the blog is for) in a story, it's my job to tell you what Howie thinks and to analyze why something happened.
Along those lines, you should read some old stuff I used to write about the CCSU women, I can be quite critical. This year, I (along with help from Lisa Backus) wrote repeatedly about the Shontice Simmons arrest this year.
I spent a good part of this year talking about how the men turned the ball over too much, and I make the same remark about coach Mac flip flopping about the offense by Week 2 of every season. Yesterday I said something bad about CCSU's pitching staff... I don't remember the specific line. I just got done criticizing two CCSU fans for "shirtgate", and I frequently rip CCSU students for not having enough of a presence at games.
Other than that, not sure what you think I was too soft about. I do write from a CCSU perspective, but that's because that's what my readers are interested in. But if there's a topic you don't think I've asked enough about, ask me and I will ask the appropriate person there. My email is mstraubblog@hotmail.com.
For example, I'm going to ask coach about the recruiting stuff tomorrow to try and get some questions I've been asked by you guys answered by coach.
One thing I won't do is lie to make myself seem controversial. I do truly believe that the men were 2 injuries away from competing for an NEC title, and I think they will be in the top 2 next year. I was disappointed with the way the women finished this year, but I think you have to be fair and attribute some of that to losing their point guard and the distractions that came with it. I stand by my statement that Beryl should have been national coach of the year last year.
I won't bash a team just to pep up the writing.
Again, I'm not even saying you're wrong and I'm right. Just give me some details and we can debate stuff. But remember, a big part of my job is to try and give you a sense of the emotions of the team, so a loss is going to reflect that and vice versa. But if you disagree with me about something, tell me. I love debating, and I don't hide from bad things said about me. I could have deleted your comment, but I post them all unless they're vulgar or something that can't be substatiated like "my roomate told me this coach hates this player..." etc.

1 comment:

  1. “I could have deleted your comment, but I post them all unless they're vulgar or something that can't be substatiated like "my roomate told me this coach hates this player..." etc.”

    Matt your right that you didn’t delete my blog post because you never posted it. You responded to some of my points and make the statement above but you didn’t post my comments. What’s up with that? Your statement that you are critical of the men’s program when appropriate and then give examples of your being critical of the women’s program reinforces my original point. How come we never hear the antics of the coach during the game, technical fouls against the coaches, kids leaving the program, kids changing their minds after committing? I like to hear the good stuff too but in a family where my father was a newspaper reporter and editor for 52 years we learned to appreciate “full reporting” and would like to see that in the Hearld's coverage of CCSU men's basketball.

    ReplyDelete