Wow, the natives are restless

Ok, a few quick thoughts on the weekend, if there's anything you want me to expand on let me know:

1) Football: The defense struggled early, but put on a show of guts down the stretch that was really fun to watch. Ryan Nielsen has that group believing in themselves and each other. Their little ritual right before taking the field for a series says a lot about their togetherness, as does their ability to avoid frustration when the offense couldn't help them out until the game's final moments.

The pass defense still can be better, but it appears to be improving.

Then there's the offense. Let me take on the couple of things that have been directed at me, and again, if I miss something, let me know.

First off, the QBs. I know I'll get beat up for this, but I thought both did a good job. They don't let Aubrey throw the ball, which I think can be a hindrance at times. Is he going to throw 75-yard bombs? No. But can he be effective? Look at the numbers. And he marched them down the field several times early... CCSU's offense in the red zone left a lot to be desired, but I didn't think too much of that was (either) QB's fault.

Hunter also did a great job. He is a million times more comfortable than he was early in the year. I'm not sure CCSU is best served flinging the ball around like the Devils are the old Rams, but a good mix would help. For all the talk of the tight ends and QBs, I think the WRs are vastly underrated on this team. Nick made two catches, one on the sideline and one over the middle on the last drive when I thought the corner had killed him, that were really impressive. There are a ton of other guys with speed on this team, too.

That said, CCSU "is what it is" to use a phrase that makes Ryan Pipke cringe. The Blue Devils' system is a run-first one, and Mac is going to use both QBs, and that's just how it is. At this point, I really can't see it changing. I'm not saying either thing is good or bad, just that I can't see the Devils changing now.

This is a really big week for this team: If the problems that cropped up last year come back, the stretch drive could be ugly. If the Blue Devils use this loss as motivation to finish strong (which I think they will), then they'll be fine.

Hud: The marketing by the program of the local kids isn't going to change, nor should it. This isn't USC where you can sell football players as football players. I cover the team as a team because it's the local team, but to get other media outlets involved, you have to give them a hook. The way to get people interested in a football program like Central's is to promote local kids. Another paper will do a story on a kid from their area, they won't do a story on a kid just because he's a good football player. That doesn't sell papers.
And (assuming it was my story you mentioned) I mentioned the GG block because two coaches told me it was a big play, and because I like giving credit to guys other than the skill spots. That's why I talk about the O-line more than most people care about.

As for other team's media: Remember that, at this level, not a lot is done on the other team going into a week. If a reporter from Albany sees Hunter go in second and calls him the backup, it's probably because he doesn't know Central uses 2 Qbs. Don't read much into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment