Welcome back my friends

to the controversy that never ends.

First off, I apologize for being a very bad blogger this week. Been running around covering a ton of stuff on campus in the last week or so, then had some birthday celebrating (or mourning) to do, then watched the Sox (more mourning followed).

So, thoughts on the weekend:

First off, tough to see what's happened to the men's soccer team. Tyrie's injury is a brutal loss, and the Blue Devils have been forced to play scoring threat Christopher Brown in back. Some younger guys have stepped up on offense, but it's a long climb from here. I'll say this though: The Devils were 0-3-1 in the league last year, and no team with Shaun Green, Yan and Tyrie, even just sitting on the bench, is going to quit.

Nice job by the women on the road. They'll need some help to win the regular season title and host the NEC tourney, but a date in the postseason seems likely. That program is arguably the most consistent at Central.

Now, football: Nice win by the Blue Devils, clearly they have no intent on giving up on the season. That's a very good sign.

I think the biggest improvement is on the defensive end. I really like what those coaches are doing. That group is coming together really well, and they have a great chemistry on the sideline, at least from what I can see.

Big Blue: Love that you're reading and keep commenting, please. However, I continue to disagree wtih you about the QBs situation. Yes, Hunter has grown on me in recent weeks, but I continue to think you (and everyone else who said it) are crazy if you think Aubrey lost the Albany game. I thought he moved the team very well. There were a couple of mistakes made in the first half, but neither were Aubrey's, at least in my mind.

Hunter played very well in the second half, but I think if that 2-point conversion works, we're talking about how well the 2-QB system is working because I'm certain CCSU would have won in OT.

Aubrey had arguably his best game of the season on Saturday, and Hunter also played well. His run at the end broke the game open, and he passed the ball well. So please don't take this as a "Aubrey's better" post. But no, I don't "have to see" that one should start over the other, because I continue to not feel that way.

And since I know it's coming, I'll do a preemptive strike on the accusations of being a "homer" or kissing up to Mac. I've gone over the things I thought could have been done differently in recent weeks, particularly against Albany.

And Ryan, great point about Wiggins. The reason his deal remained news and the Miles thing died right away is because Wiggins was local. That kid is smart, I should hire him.

Bob: Apologize for not answering your last couple of emails, been busy as I went over above. I had to run back to the office after the Duquesne game, but I did visit the tent after the last home game. Thanks again Charlie for feeding a hungry man.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, I don't beleive I (or anyone) blamed Aubrey Norris for losing the UA game. I beleive some of us expressed the opinion that if Hunter Wankett had started and been given a vote of confidnece in the UA game that CCSU may have had a better shot of whinning this game.

    Play calling may be affected by Aubrey's passing limitations.

    Norris has better mobility, Wankett has the better arm. It's easier for Wankett to raise his running game up a notch then it is for Aubrey to get a better arm. Therefore in my opinion, Wankett is the more versatile front line QB.

    Anyway, four games left so the controversy is pretty much a mute point now. I do belevie CCSU can't win against Monmouth if they leanon Aubrey. He couldn't beat them last year, he won't beat them this year. A 27-24 victory for CCSU if Wankett starts and plays. A tough game and I firmly belevie it comes down to the QB chocie this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue,
    I just don't agree at all. But that's the fun of sports, we can agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete